Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Bashan 150-17 scooter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
147 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 7/28/2008 12:16 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What do you folks know about a chinese made scooter, 4 cycle, 150cc, called I think a Bashan? Are they any good?

Post Edited (Triumph Guy) : 7/28/2008 11:52:10 PM GMT

Spanky
My Eyes Are Burning

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2005
Total Posts : 3850

Posted 7/28/2008 1:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well, all I know is what I have been told by people around here who have them.. Some of my co-workers have said that the knock off scooters are great until something breaks & you need parts. I also understand that it is east to break simple or common parts. I am told the lead time to get a certain part here & there seems to take 3-5 weeks, depending on when the boat leaves there to get here.

As fro a Bashun, never heard of it until now. I did do a Google search on it, which one were you interested in? (Size/CC's???)

Now that Ia m older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience. Turns out, I just dont give a shit!

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 7/28/2008 2:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking at a 150cc, smaller just makes you feel like road kill.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 7/28/2008 2:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mind you most normal m/c shops of the MAKE of bike we have do not necessarily carry the parts needed. One often has to wait a few days or a week.  In some cases a m/c rider has to wait even longer. Mind you with China making said scooters or m/cs I can well expect much longer for often the distributor or dealer is running on a shoe string.  So often it is a gamble unless the scooter is a well knowen make which will mean the buyer has pair more for the well knowen name like one made in Italy or Japan.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 7/28/2008 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Without a reputable local dealer I would pass.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 7/28/2008 5:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scooter dealers in Salt are all over the place, scooters are everywhere. If you go to KSL.com under scooters there are 486 used for sale. There are even scooter gangs trying to start up, biggest right now is only 6 strong, and they do call themselves gangs. I called them to see if any owned motorcycles, answer was no, in fact most are 50cc. There was strong opinion about Chinese scoots, not well accepted and were considered cheap copies of major brands. Plus the scooter gang people are in their 20's and narrowly focused. Kinda like motorcycle gangs (sorry, "clubs" is what they like to be called). Reputable dealer? the big question is, are you even a dealer? The scooter is $1287.00 out the door so I'll give it a try. I do work for a full service machine shop and have made parts for several different bikes you couldn't get parts for.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 7/29/2008 6:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
Reputable dealer? the big question is, are you even a dealer? The scooter is $1287.00 out the door so I'll give it a try. I do work for a full service machine shop and have made parts for several different bikes you couldn't get parts for.

Sounds like you know how and like to wrench. I say go for it then if you like the bike in general, just remember most of these drop-shipped Chinese bikes are like kits and need constant attention. Things to look for or fix right away -

Get a new battery or charge battery.
Check and fix wire routing and connections.
Check fuel lines for crimping.
Change the oil.
Check over all fasteners and bolts.
Replace coolant.
Disable alarm if it comes equipped with one, the majority of them drain the battery.

If you want to find a great deal on a reputable/reliable scooter look at KYMCO. They generally price their bikes pretty aggressively compared to the other major manufacturers but still more expensive than the Chinese drop shippers.

The KYMCO Agility is $1999

www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/agility125/index.html

The KYMCO Super 8 is $2299

www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/super8150/index.html

If you do settle for the Bashan make sure you do a Google search for your drop shipper and add key words like reliable, problems, delays and see if you get anything. Also www.scootdawg.com is a great resource and a very friendly bunch of mostly Chinese scoot owners, a big knowledge base for troubleshooting.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 7/29/2008 6:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Wisart I'll do that.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 7/29/2008 6:55 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
TG, one last thing. If you get the Chinese bike be careful pulling off the plastic panels. Typically they use cheaper plastic which is more brittle and the fastener tabs can break.

Good luck and have fun with your search. Please report back with what you finally decide. And if you get the Bashan I would be curious what your assessment of it is.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 7/29/2008 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

TG,

In your original post you mentioned CHINESE scooters. In later posts wisart mentioned KYMCO.

I stole the following from a discussion forum at gardenweb. It might clear something up about Kymco. It did for me.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/motorcycles/msg041639001917.html

Forget Chinese scooters unless you want a disposable one. Don't confuse Taiwanese scooters with Chinese scooters. Kymco, SYM, E-Ton, PGO are all Taiwanese scooters. Tank, Volano, Quinqzi, SunL, are all China scooters.

The best one of the lot is probably Kymco. Very big in Taiwan, (along with SYM)

You have to think about parts and servicing too. No scooter is self sufficient. They all need servicing and / or parts sooner or later.

---- end stolen material ----

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 8/4/2008 5:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Grand daughter took delivery of the Bashun Friday( with help from grandpa) . Plenty of power will do 60 mph easily. Good looks, the dealer, it appears that they take something off of every scooter like a name plate, or purse hook to satisfy another customer. A new scooter is in the back in the final stages of being stripped for parts. We didn't get everything the bike was supposed to get. There was a deep gouge in the fairing from shipping, or given to another customer, several nicks here and there. This is a dingy back street shop that may or may not be in business tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 8/5/2008 10:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
 Good looks, the dealer, it appears that they take something off of every scooter like a name plate, or purse hook to satisfy another customer. A new scooter is in the back in the final stages of being stripped for parts. We didn't get everything the bike was supposed to get. There was a deep gouge in the fairing from shipping, or given to another customer, several nicks here and there. This is a dingy back street shop that may or may not be in business tomorrow. .
If that were the first paragraph in a mystery novel I'd be hooked. More, more!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/6/2008 10:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dang that Kymco Super 8 seems to be a great value! $2299. The Buddy Intl that I had asked about before is also 150cc but about $1K more...
What's the powah like on the Kymco? Good for 2 peeps? Top end?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 8/6/2008 10:47 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Generally most 150's are going to top off around 60 maybe 65 mph with an average sized rider. They can pull two up, just make sure there is enough room on the seat for both you and the passenger.

I like the green colored Super 8!

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 8/11/2008 5:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been around bikes since I was born and I was surprised at the quality of the Bashan 150 we just bought. Plastic is thick and flexible, it has a gas gauge and tubeless tires. You even open the seat right from the ignition key. I changed the oil in the engine and the rear end right away and got a new battery, just like they told you to, from Advance Auto Parts. It only has 90 miles so far, but my wife is smiling every time she uses it. We're breaking it in gently, keeping it under 40 mph for the first 300 to 500 miles. Every time I e-mail GS Motorworks, the place I bought it from in Dallas, they reply. It also came without a blemish and every piece was accounted for. Shipping was free so we paid for rush delivery, receiving the scooter 12 days after we ordered it. This reminds me of the early 1960's when the Japanese came along with a quality product that was less expensive than the competition but just as good. I've even scoured the web looking for complaints about Bashan scooters but haven't seen any. All I can say is so far so good.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 8/11/2008 7:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
I've been around bikes since I was born and I was surprised at the quality of the Bashan 150 we just bought. This reminds me of the early 1960's when the Japanese came along with a quality product that was less expensive than the competition but just as good. I've even scoured the web looking for complaints about Bashan scooters but haven't seen any. All I can say is so far so good.

I don't want to be a wet blanket but the bike is shiny new. These bikes have a lot to prove from the negative baggage the Chinese drop-shippers have infused into the scooter market. Hopefully it will stand the test of time and be a reliable little ride for both of you. This bike may mark the turning point for these type of bikes. I still won't feel comfortable until these manufacturers start building dealer networks otherwise they can sell the same bad bikes under different names completely diluting and confusing the market. Such is the case with the Bashan, a new bike without brand history.

I sincerely look forward to hearing the reports about this bike and hope it brings you lots of fun on the road.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/12/2008 5:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't buy the bike from a Chinese drop shipper. I bought it from a dealer in Dallas who's been doing business for 10 years. According to his ad he spec'ed out what he wanted and is getting it from the Chinese. I have a deep background in these things and didn't flinch about final assembly in my garage. My Dad was a Triumph dealer for a while and ran a repair shop for years. The problem won't always be the bikes, but the people who buy them. Will they break them in or go out and do 60 mph the day they get them? Will they change the rear end oil at 200 miles or run it for years and never touch it? We'll get good service because we know what we're dealing with. An inexpensive motorcycle that needs a light touch. I noticed tonight it has an ABS valve on the front twin piston caliper. My $6600 Kawaski doesn't even have that. So far we've put 102 miles on it in a week and it just purrs along. I'd love it if there was a Bashan dealer nearby but there isn't. There is a Hyosung dealer but all they have in scooters is 50's and 250's. I wanted a 150. If Bashan keeps making scooters like this there will be dealers around-soon.

Piglet
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/21/2008 10:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I am a dealer for the china scoots. They are basically good machines. They require the occasional mechanics/ preventitive maintainence. They are not just put gas in it an go forever machines while not doing the maintence like most Americans are used to. They have some quirks but if you are at all savy with a wrench they are great machines for the money. I sell only the GY6 knockoff motor machines. Honda parts fix all the internals and if you have an electrical issue there are tons of websites that sell parts that are compadiable. Most of the problems my customers bike have run into are stupid things, pinched fuel line, a wiring harness was not connected well etc.

I have had only 1 nightmare bike and being a new store and customer service being my priority I replaced the bike at no charge even though it had 600+ miles on it and was out of the warranty period. In my opinion the shop you deal with is the true test to how well the machine was set up, tested and maintained. If the dealer these people are buying them from are just throwing them together and selling them for a quick buck well.... You truely get what you deserve. Most poeple wouldnt buy a car from "slick Ed's" perhaps the same care should be taken with scooters.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 8/21/2008 12:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
I noticed tonight it has an ABS valve on the front twin piston caliper. My $6600 Kawaski doesn't even have that. So far we've put 102 miles on it in a week and it just purrs along. I'd love it if there was a Bashan dealer nearby but there isn't. There is a Hyosung dealer but all they have in scooters is 50's and 250's. I wanted a 150. If Bashan keeps making scooters like this there will be dealers around-soon.

From Pride of Cleveland Scooters website (in reference to Chinese scoots ABS):
"ABS or Anti-Lock Brakes" - These are not actual ABS systems. They are cheap-o add on diverter valves that do nothing but act as a pressure bypass. In other words, when you apply the brakes HARD, they open a valve that dumps about 50% of the braking energy away from the brake calipers. These systems are DANGEROUS and result in losing half of your braking energy when you need it the most. In the worst case scenarios we've seen these systems get jammed up, completely locking the front or rear wheel causing the scooter to lose control and pitching the rider to the road. Real ABS systems are only found on VERY high end scooters and they are usually a $1000 option."

I don't mean to argue but I am curious about the 102 miles. Can you confirm that the odometer is in miles and not kilometers. I'm glad it is running well. Keep us posted on the long term results. Post a picture when you get a chance.

Post Edited (wisart) : 8/21/2008 8:44:48 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/21/2008 1:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well with a so called braking system like what you mentioned,wisart, then it is obviouse such a system is made for non-m/c riders & that is dangerous as we are accustom to the best of stopping power & esecially to others that ride sportbikes like I do.  That bit is really shaking & have to admit.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/23/2008 3:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

No Wisart the speedometer is reading in miles and is more accurate than my W650 Kawasaki. Since I last wrote my wife has put almost another 100 miles on the scooter and it has 198 miles. The only problems we've had were related to silly things I did during assembly. They were truly my fault and came from not following the instructions. For example: One day I came home and my wife said the scooter was dead. No lights nothing. She thought she left the key on and the tail light drained the battery. I hooked up the charger and still nothing. I checked the main fuse and sure enough it wasn't connected. When I installed the battery everything lit up and I assummed the instruction about connecting the main fuse was wrong. In fact it was making enough of a connection inside of the case to power the scooter. Eventually it came loose. Simple fix. Connect the fuse like I was supposed to in the first place. Today I changed the engine and transfer case oil like they tell you to at 180 miles. Engine oil had two small shavings in it and the transfer case oil (85-90W gear oil) which was yellow/clear when I put it in came out aluminum gray. I'll do them both at 500 miles as a precaution but I'm sure everything is breaking in properly.

I have a hard time believing that the Chinese would put a bogus brake system on their scooters. My wife is as green as they come and so far she has done incredibly well with the Milano. I'll see what I can do about a picture. I'll have to dust off my digital camera.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/23/2008 4:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK I took a couple of picures. Let's see if Vista cooperates. If it does you'll see the scooter is in perfect condition. The thing that looks like an oil drop on the ground in the front face view was a leaf. It doesn't leak an ounce. From behind you can see the plastic on the left for carrying things. Originally we had the tool kit in there, but I couldn't stand listening to it rattling around.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
IMAG0033.JPG
  352KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 6904 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
IMAG0034.JPG
  327KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 4957 time(s).

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/23/2008 6:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just went looking to see who "Pride of Cleveland" was and sure enough-a Vespa dealer. A little history here. When the Japanese started selling scooters in this country Vespa people refered to them as "Tuperware". To them the scooters from Honda and Yamaha were second class. Now the Chinese are selling scooters with valves to keep the front brakes from locking up and they, of course, are making them out to be the scourge of humanity. Once again someone is encroaching on their turf and they don't like it. Worse yet, they're doing it at one-third the price.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 8/25/2008 6:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
I just went looking to see who "Pride of Cleveland" was and sure enough-a Vespa dealer. A little history here. When the Japanese started selling scooters in this country Vespa people refered to them as "Tuperware". To them the scooters from Honda and Yamaha were second class. Now the Chinese are selling scooters with valves to keep the front brakes from locking up and they, of course, are making them out to be the scourge of humanity. Once again someone is encroaching on their turf and they don't like it. Worse yet, they're doing it at one-third the price.

Yes POC or Pride of Cleveland is a Vespa dealer, but they are also a vintage shop, KYMCO and Genuine dealer. So they are selling plastic, metal and everything in between. The ABS was a simple word of warning for you to check out, certainly not stating that this bike has the inferior set-up.

By the way, nice photos. It is a sharp looking scooter I can see why you like it so much. Many happy miles to you!

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 8/25/2008 11:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, Grand daughter has about 400 mi. on it now. She likes it better than her old Yamaha 50 simply because it has a ton of power by comparison. The speedo cable was misrouted an failed but the dealer fixed it right away. I don't even know why they sell a 50cc in the U.S., there fine for Asian traffic but just become street pizza here or road kill. There ok if you can stay on roads not over 35 mph speed limit. Found out that 700 East at 45 mph speed limit was the boogy man for 50cc scooters. She was telling her girl friend that she on longer fears 7th.