Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Bashan 150-17 scooter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
147 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 9/14/2008 6:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Today I have my first complaint with the Bashan. I took it for a 40 mile ride to get some parts for the lawn tractor and the heat shield on the muffler fell off. Now I have two holes leaking exhaust gas and one spot that looks like a mounting point sheared off. I notified the people who sold it to me via e-mail, but it's Sunday night and don't expect a response until tomorrow. I also got the number for warranty problems from the web site and will call tomorrow. Now we'll see how how the whole after-sale response issue is handled. Otherwise the scooter is running fine. It has 431 miles and the fuel mileage is creeping up. I just got 58 mpg on the last tank and that was running it at 50 mph with some steep hills thrown in. It could only manage 40 mph with my 180 lb. body up those inclines

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/15/2008 4:25 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Today I have my first complaint with the Bashan. I took it for a 40 mile ride to get some parts for the lawn tractor and the heat shield on the muffler fell off. Now I have two holes leaking exhaust gas and one spot that looks like a mounting point sheared off. I notified the people who sold it to me via e-mail, but it's Sunday night and don't expect a response until tomorrow. I also got the number for warranty problems from the web site and will call tomorrow. Now we'll see how how the whole after-sale response issue is handled. Otherwise the scooter is running fine. It has 431 miles and the fuel mileage is creeping up. I just got 58 mpg on the last tank and that was running it at 50 mph with some steep hills thrown in. It could only manage 40 mph with my 180 lb. body up those inclines

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 9/15/2008 4:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Grand daughter has 895 miles on her scooter now,except for the speedo cable,no problems. Doesn't know what her gas mileage is. Were in a very dry climate so maybe that may have something to do with no corrosion yet. 58 mpg?! Ouch! that's only 13 more mpg than my sport bike if I don't take it to the strip, and 8 mpg more than the 750 triumph. I think she is probably getting around 70+ she only weighs 105 lbs. She will check it for sure now.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/18/2008 6:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I have another tale that Triumph Guy might want to file in his “take notice” drawer. I rode the scooter the other day and it started to run “badly”. It wouldn't go over 45 mph, was breaking up, pinging, hesitating and doing things it had never done before. I thought it was the muffler holes so I plugged them up with Quiksteel (sort of like Miracle Putty, only better) put dry gas in the tank and checked the air filter in case it had clogged, even though the scooter only had 500 miles. Nothing helped. Finally I went looking for the spark plug. It's behind the cover with vent holes in it and to get to it I had to move a hose which seemed suspiciously floppy. I pulled on it and discovered it wasn't connected to anything. I started the scooter and it started pulling vacuum. “This is bad,” I thought, especially since the hose is 3/8 inch inner diameter. I plugged it with a bolt and,voila, the scooter was a happy camper once again. I called the people at GS Motorworks the next day to inquire where this hose was supposed to hook up to. The reply, “Nowhere, it's for future EPA purposes.” Apparently a cannister on the hose that was supposed to act as a pressure relief had failed and stuck open. Call me a shade tree mechanic, but I'm not replacing one Chinese valve with another and waiting for it to go bad. I'll stick with the bolt. Besides that the scooter is running better than ever and the people at GS say it won't hurt anything. Top speed hasn't improved but it feels like it has more torque and pulls uphill better. Who knows maybe gas mileage improve also.

wisart
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 464

Posted 9/19/2008 6:45 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice work Kz, I love solutions like that.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 9/19/2008 11:31 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks KZ, noted and looking for my jar of surprise pills. GD has 900 miles which is too soon to judge. Your not seeing that Japanese, taken for granted quality and with a speedo cable having gone bad already from miss routing, I'm not seeing trained techs.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/19/2008 5:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

TG, don't be too quick to blame the Chinese for that misrouted cable. When I got the scooter we had to take the fender bracket off the scooter to mount the front fender. Included in the process was running the speedometer cable through the fender and back through the cable guide on the front fork. I did the job after a day at work and in fading daylight and missed putting the cable through the guide. After my wife had the scooter a few days she said to me it was making a banging noise. Sure enough when I compressed the forks I heard something hitting. The cable had whipped behind the guide when the forks compressed and pulled it out. The guide started hitting one of the fender screws whenever the forks moved up and down. I just put the cable through the guide where it belonged, bent the guide back and all has been peaceful since. Having assembled one from the crate, TG, I can tell you that the cable issue could have been the result of a mistake at the dealer and not at the factory. At least from my own experience.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/19/2008 5:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm sorry TG, I misread your statement. You're right. The dealer did drop the ball assembling your Grand daughter's scooter. We just bought a Honda Rebel for the wife and it's built like a rock and everything is solidly in place. It will probably be years before we see that kind of committment to service from the Chinese.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/23/2008 6:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another message for Triumph Guy. I just changed the engine and rear end oil on the scooter. It has 600 miles on it. I found bits of gasket in the drain plug and saw some small brass filings when I drained out the pan. Nothing alarming to my way of thinking. I also drained the transfer case (rear end) and that was another story. It came out aluminum gray again, very heavily so. I had hoped it wouldn't be so metallic this time, but it was. I'm going to keep after it and change it again at 1,000 miles when I do the oil. I don't know what is breaking in so heavily in there but I'm surprised how much it's doing it. You might want to see if similar things are going on with your Grandaughter's scooter.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 9/27/2008 5:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I feel like I own a British single, Triumph Guy. Today I rode the scooter into town and heard buzzing coming from the rear of the scooter. I discovered that the muffler is held by two bolts that are hung on the rear fender, which is unsupported on the right side of the machine, along with two other bolts. When I got home I dragged out my Kobalt sockets and tightened everything from the cylinder head on back and sure enough they were loose. I guess I'll have to include bolt tightening during the oil change. I don't have to do that for the Kawasaki.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 9/29/2008 8:21 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
She has 1100 miles now, the oil looked good. She only weighs 115 lbs. that might have something to do with little wear.

Gena
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/3/2008 2:37 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Last week I bought Kymco Super 8

Very good

wisart said...
Triumph Guy said...
Reputable dealer? the big question is, are you even a dealer? The scooter is $1287.00 out the door so I'll give it a try. I do work for a full service machine shop and have made parts for several different bikes you couldn't get parts for.

Sounds like you know how and like to wrench. I say go for it then if you like the bike in general, just remember most of these drop-shipped Chinese bikes are like kits and need constant attention. Things to look for or fix right away -

Get a new battery or charge battery.
Check and fix wire routing and connections.
Check fuel lines for crimping.
Change the oil.
Check over all fasteners and bolts.
Replace coolant.
Disable alarm if it comes equipped with one, the majority of them drain the battery.

If you want to find a great deal on a reputable/reliable scooter look at KYMCO. They generally price their bikes pretty aggressively compared to the other major manufacturers but still more expensive than the Chinese drop shippers.

The KYMCO Agility is $1999

www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/agility125/index.html

The KYMCO Super 8 is $2299

www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/super8150/index.html

If you do settle for the Bashan make sure you do a Google search for your drop shipper and add key words like reliable, problems, delays and see if you get anything. Also www.scootdawg.com is a great resource and a very friendly bunch of mostly Chinese scoot owners, a big knowledge base for troubleshooting.

Gena
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 10/3/2008 2:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In Russia Super 8 costs $3000
Other chinease - $2000
Desmolicious said...
Dang that Kymco Super 8 seems to be a great value! $2299. The Buddy Intl that I had asked about before is also 150cc but about $1K more...
What's the powah like on the Kymco? Good for 2 peeps? Top end?

Gena
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2008

Posted 10/3/2008 2:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

In Russia  Super 8 is $3000

Other chinease scooter - $2000

I bought Super 8

Desmolicious said...
Dang that Kymco Super 8 seems to be a great value! $2299. The Buddy Intl that I had asked about before is also 150cc but about $1K more...
What's the powah like on the Kymco? Good for 2 peeps? Top end?

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/19/2008 6:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good for you Gena. I've read that the Kymco is good for something like 65 mph flat out and has outstanding quality. It's worth the money, for sure, and will give a certain Italian scooter company fits, not to mention some Japanese companies also.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/25/2008 3:56 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Update on the Bashan. Yesterday I finally called the people at GS Motorworks about the holes in the muffler. No problem, they're sending me a new muffler, free, under my warranty. Second, the aluminum gray color I saw in the transfer case oil stopped. I checked it 50 miles after my last report and again 150 miles later. I'm now running 75-140W synthetic back there. It's more expensive, but I might save in the long run. Winter is setting in and we're having temperatures in the twenties so the characteristics of a synthetic in low temperatures won't hurt either.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 11/3/2008 9:19 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Grand daughter is up to 1830 miles now, changed the oil Saturday no new problems to report.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 11/16/2008 8:26 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow TG, your Grand Daughter is a real road burner. I just passed 1,000 miles on mine last week. Just for fun I took it on a 85 mile round trip to a doctor's appointment on the local interstate. It did fine. I'm getting 63 to 68 mpg running it at 50 mph most of the time. From what I read on other forums that's about standard. I've also discovered that Bashans come with the  1P57QMJ GY6 engine. This one has a better cylinder head on it and has more torque than the standard 57QMJ engine on most other Chinese scooters. I've read many different forums and it appears that we have lucked onto one of the better scooters to come out of China. I lucked out doubly so since I bought it online sight unseen. If you want the name of online part sellers, not to appear like a know it all, I've gathered a small list of name.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 2/23/2009 5:09 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just added up my tire bill for last year and it was $1570.00. The tires were mounted free and at cost so it would be much higher at retail. Point......if I buy a scooter for the every day commute, it will pay for itself and save the Kawk wear and tear. Out the door is around $1250.00.

Ride like you want to make it home

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 3/14/2009 6:13 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK so now that we know that you bought a scooter for $999 and Grandaughter has 2300 miles on hers I guess all our Chinese scooter discussions are a little different now. I remember from my reading of MC magazines years ago that the average motorcyclist rides 2,500 to 3,000 miles a year. Do you realize that by the time your grandaughter has her Bashan a year she'll smash the average. On a 150cc Chinese scooter no less. There are probably people with full size motorcycles who'll travel fewer miles than she will this year. Even Smitty has to admire someone who puts all those miles on a little single.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/15/2009 8:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
She uses the scooter for basic transportation and loves it. She had a Yamaha 50cc before and found it to be lacking in power to a fault. I have a blast riding around on the ZENG? The Bashun is much quicker but the fit and finish on mine is better. This week she had a liter bike pull up next to her and asked her if she wanted to feel some real power. She replied, "no I've been on my grandpa's motorcycle." Now he says "this isn't your grand father's motorcycle." You can guess the reply, grand daughter hates bullet bikes riders because of their attitude, and she can swear.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 3/15/2009 3:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hers might be quicker because she has the 1P57QMJ and you might have the garden variety 57QMJ. I didnt think the difference was that much noticeable but it could be. Also if yours is a 2009 and hers is a 2008 there could be EPA leanness at work. You never know. The Chinese overreact to regulations Worldwide and you could be saddled with that. A little carburetor work and you could be waving goodbye to Grandaughter. All the big tuners at Scootdawg have changed their pilot and main jets. Maybe you need to let yours break in a little too. The Bashan has way more miles than yours. By 500 miles yours will be a totally different motor.

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 3/16/2009 5:19:52 PM GMT

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/15/2009 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
Hers might be quicker because she has the 1P57MJ and you might have the garden variety 57QMJ. I didnt think the difference was that much noticeable but it could be. Also if yours is a 2009 and hers is a 2008 there could be EPA leanness at work. You never know. The Chinese overreact to regulations Worldwide and you could be saddled with that. A little carburetor work and you could be waving goodbye to Grandaughter. All the big tuners at Scootdawg have changed their pilot and main jets. Maybe you need to let yours break in a little too. The Bashan has way more miles than yours. By 500 miles yours will be a totally different motor.
Thanks for the input, I've been told break-in is everything and I'm no stranger to jetting.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/15/2009 6:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fortunately your granddaughter is on a larger scooter & not a 49cc so many have.  Also she knows more about m/cs then the nut that pulled up besider her & came out with the bit of talk.  Give her credit, a bat of the back or whatever for she was right on the bit in her answer.  Nothing like defeating a wise-arse.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 3/16/2009 10:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know if you read my other reply, but if you go to www.2strokebuzz.com they have a list of different Chinese manufacturers based on the first three numbers of your VIN. If you have a scooter made by Znen you struck the big time with your purchase.