Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Bashan 150-17 scooter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
147 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/29/2009 5:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
I don't know if you read my other reply, but if you go to www.2strokebuzz.com they have a list of different Chinese manufacturers based on the first three numbers of your VIN. If you have a scooter made by Znen you struck the big time with your purchase.
It is a Znen a ZN150T-E manufactured by Taizhou Zhongneng. Vin starts L5YTCKPA. The sales order called it a ZHNG incorrectly. It has the Honda GY6 motor (so they advertise}.

Ride like you want to make it home

Post Edited (Triumph Guy) : 3/30/2009 1:16:03 AM GMT

Sanny George
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/30/2009 3:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chinese scooters are worth considering. The Linhai-Yamaha company manufactures some of the best scooters in China that are currently sold in the U.S. under the Aeolus brand name. Linhai has actually been producing scooters for Yamaha for years. The fact that China has relatively low manufacturing costs compared to the U.S.

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 3/30/2009 4:39:38 PM GMT

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 3/30/2009 9:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The fact that it's Znen would explain the fit and finish being a little better than the Bashan. Just give it some time and I'm sure some horsepower willl show up as it breaks in. My wife said ours felt a lot stronger at a thousand miles than when she last rode it at 400. Just about all China scoots are Honda clones. Given some care and TLC the engines will be the last thing to give you trouble.
$999 for a Znen. I hope it didn't suffer too much damage when it fell off the back of the truck.

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 3/30/2009 4:44:32 PM GMT

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/30/2009 5:02 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
The fact that it's Znen would explain the fit and finish being a little better than the Bashan. Just give it some time and I'm sure some horsepower willl show up as it breaks in. My wife said ours felt a lot stronger at a thousand miles than when she last rode it at 400. Just about all China scoots are Honda clones. Given some care and TLC the engines will be the last thing to give you trouble.
$999 for a Znen. I hope it didn't suffer too much damage when it fell off the back of the truck.
The cargo trunk had a slight scratch but otherwise in perfect condition. The handle bars look like they came off a Harley and the instruments have real glass not plastic like the ZX-14. It doesn't look cheap and runs great. ABS brakes, disc front and rear, alarm, remote start, heavy duty seat fabric, aluminum floor boards, a lot of bang for the buck. My gear doesn't fit the scooter, looks like I fell off a Harley, gets some worried looks from motorists. There are scooter gangs in Utah but they dress like their in college.

Post Edited (Triumph Guy) : 3/31/2009 12:09:46 AM GMT

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/4/2009 4:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

What I find truly interesting here TG is that this thread started when you asked if you should buy a Chinese scooter for your grandaughter. Now less than eight months later you bought one to save wear and tear on your bikes for $999 and didn't even really question the wisdom of the purchase. Of course it's your daughters who are benefiting from the purchase, but your initial outlook was to just do it. The obvious observation here is that your grandaughter's scooter sold another scooter in her family and could be selling Chinese scooters to other friends and acquaintances. People take notice of things that are going well, just as much as they do things that are doing badly.

Which will take little pieces out of higher priced scooter's sales percentages.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/4/2009 7:50 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
What I find truly interesting here TG is that this thread started when you asked if you should buy a Chinese scooter for your grandaughter. Now less than eight months later you bought one to save wear and tear on your bikes for $999 and didn't even really question the wisdom of the purchase. Of course it's your daughters who are benefiting from the purchase, but your initial outlook was to just do it. The obvious observation here is that your grandaughter's scooter sold another scooter in her family and could be selling Chinese scooters to other friends and acquaintances. People take notice of things that are going well, just as much as they do things that are doing badly.

Which will take little pieces out of higher priced scooter's sales percentages.
Love anything with two wheels.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/17/2009 11:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I guess I have to report this. The scooter blew a valve spring. I was out with it when it suddenly slowed and started making rattling noises. I kept going at a reduced pace and it got me home, but I was pretty sure what it was. I pulled off all the plastic, got the valve cover off and, sure enough, the outer intake valve spring is broken. I'm hoping all of the pieces are there and I don't have to break the engine in half, but I won't know until I get the spring out. I haven't drained the oil yet either so I won't know until I see signs of metal there. I should have checked the adjustment sooner but it was running so good I let it go. I can't help but feel I got hit with a bad spring, but there's no sense complaining about it, I just have to try to fix it.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/17/2009 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bad material, bummer, looks like horrible freight crap.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/21/2009 10:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So while the bad news is that it took about a zillion things to get it apart, I have someone to put in a new spring for me down in Georgia-Gratis. Also I purchased a one year parts warranty when I bought it so I get both vave springs, head gasket and a new valve cover gasket for free. Of course labor isn't covered, the down side of online puchasing, but I get to see if I'm any kind of a mechanic. All these wires, hoses and screws. I just hope I remember where everything goes when the time comes. Also that it all seals nice. Oh yes, and that it starts and runs, that would be nice too.

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 4/21/2009 11:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
 I just hope I remember where everything goes when the time comes. Also that it all seals nice.

2 words. Digital camera.

Good luck, Kz.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/23/2009 7:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's what my friend said-after I finished. I even have three here. I was just so blown away by the whole thing that I wasn't thinking straight. At least I labeled a couple of wires I separated when I pulled them apart. It's not an MV Augusta or Honda Gold Wing with six cylinders, it's just been a long time since I've been this deep in an engine. Even something one step above a lawn mower.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/23/2009 11:52 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good post K1000 on what to think of if one purchases a scooter.  Not that you are down-grading the scooter, but telling fellow riders to those purchasing a scooter, that it is best to take in some of your tips for the future miles, months to yrs of riding a scooter.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/25/2009 12:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Further Comment Smitty. It turns out after talking to the people at Scootdawg that I'm my worst enemy. I was running the scoot at 50mph all the time even though it has 10" wheels. All GY6 engines have the same final drive gearing so, in a word, I was over revving the thing. It turns out I blew an outer intake spring, an innner exhaust spring and nicked the exhaust valve seal. The person who did the repair put in high perforformance springs but in the future I'll keep the speed between 40 and 45. My fault, the speedo had a redline at 50 mph, but the scooter didn't sound stressed. the person who did the springs suggested I think about changing the final drive to a lower ratio so the engine doesn't spin so much. It's at 3.01 now, supposedly 2.75 is available.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/25/2009 2:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That is total BS. You bend valves on over rev. You seize pistons, throw rods. You can't break a valve spring unless it's crap.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/26/2009 5:09 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, well that actually makes me feel better. I guess the lack of top end might have come from two sources. The first could have been the broken exhaust valve spring, since I think it happened earlier,but worse is that I found the exhaust pipe was badly welded at the manifold and could have been restricting flow so badly it choked horsepower at top end. A tip for you TG and your scooter. I'll see if this picture will show up so you can see what I mean. I found it when I took the scooter apart.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
exhaust 001.JPG
  47KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 1389 time(s).

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/26/2009 7:24 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That would cause overheating. Wow.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/26/2009 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I go along with the thinking of TG, so in fact it was not YOUR fault K1000, but that of the maker.  Mind you a two-stroke can stand revs much higher then a four-stroke.  So take that into consideration when riding a two-stroke or four stroke.  The four stock lacks the power of a two-stroke its same size.

That is why so many of us, in dirt comp., sold our comp four stroke 500cc to 600cc bikes for 250cc two-strokes to also have more power & with a lighter machine which also gave us the mor ease of handeling.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/26/2009 3:51 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
That would cause overheating. Wow.

I remember you said that your Grandaughter's scooter was much more powerful than yours. You might want to pull your exhaust pipe and see if it looks like mine. Apparently this is a common ailment requiring creative filing or an aftermarket pipe.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/26/2009 4:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Can't believe how tiny the exhaust is. The old CA95 150cc Honda had a lot more oompf and top end. Will check that out soon.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 4/29/2009 10:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

This is my head and the work that was done.

http://kliffsdr650.proboards.com/index.c....splay&thread=65

kliff is an old cycle mechanic who is doing scooters now down in Georgia, I got the head back on Monday and am now waiting for a head gasket from Texas. It's coming from the place I bought the scooter. As luck would have it they were moving their warehouse to a bigger building and it took a few days to ship the parts. I'm getting it for free or else I'd grumble.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/29/2009 12:58 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Back in '45 to in the late 40s we often purchased gasket material of the correct thickness, then made our own gaskets for the ring-dingers two-strokes to so many other bikes.  Mind you Villiers had us stumbled due to a copper head gasket, but that was easily put into use again, but putting the gasket in hot water to swell the head gasket again.  Mind you after the 2nd use it was buy or use a new one.

Earlier in life I used even brown wrapping paper or paper from paper groceries.  After all this was only for some two-stroke, to a HD or Indian, to many of the old motors originally used in the farms, that lacked electricity, like Johnston Iron Horse to Briggs & Stratton & some others. Yes I went through the paper bags to whatever my mother had around & about to throw away for material to make a gasket or two or three or more.

Like with a '34 Villiers Powered 175cc Powered Coventy-Eagle, since I did not have British taps & dies I used my lathe to churn out my own American thread nuts, to bolts to you hame it & actually conginued on with more Brit learning of useing the metal cutting lathe for turning on the one or two bolts we did not have in our shop. 

After all I have seen photos of the Metal Cutting Lathe to the Milling machine (mind you that latter much later in life) Arthur Browning of the famous rifles & h/guns or his time & knew YES the drill-press table would do for milling & modern lathe for the rest.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 4/29/2009 8:01:06 PM GMT

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/3/2009 7:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Arrgghhh. Yesterday I went out to start putting the scooter back together. Cleaned off the top of cylinder, lined up tdc mark and went to slip on the new head gasket. They sent me the wrong one. It's from a 50cc engine. I can't reuse the old one since the teflon coating peeled off in spots. kliff is overnighting me a new one from Georgia but it won't get here until Tuesday. Only a little displeased at this one. Next time I call Parts for Scooters and pay the $10.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 5/3/2009 8:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Honda, or Vespa, ready to switch? China is not a favored nation, it will take time.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/5/2009 11:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, I know what I'll probably do, but I'm looking for thoughts. I have a new base gasket but I didn't disturb the old one (cylinder is still in place)when I took off the head and it was fine when I took it apart. I really don't feel like fooling around with the cam chain and guides and piston rings (I don't own a ring compressor) and with my luck I'd crack some brittle Chinese piston ring. I'm leaning towards leaving the old gasket in-thoughts?

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 5/5/2009 6:45:39 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/5/2009 2:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

So you are stuck with what the head gasket is made off.  For the bbl & crankcase are with original gasket & no trouble there.

So all I can suggest is that you drop around to an automotive firm that sells pistons, rings, spark plugs, tools, brgs, to gasket & good chance they might know what said head gasket is made of & actually have a blank that you can copy & cut for your present scooter.