Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Bashan 150-17 scooter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
147 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3  4  5  6 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 5/6/2009 6:15 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No,no I have a brand new head gasket Smitty and it's way better than the one that comes stock. I also got a new base gasket from the same person and it's better than stock also. I just don't feel like disturbing all the mechanical bits and possibly goofing up something for no reason. As I said the base gasket wasn't leaking before and it's just paper. I didn't move the barrel when I pulled the head so it didn't tear or anything. I'm just wondering what you old hands think about leaving well enough alone or should I go to the trouble of replacing the base gasket since I have new one?

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 5/6/2009 12:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
I'm just wondering what you old hands think about leaving well enough alone ...
I think that is a good idea. yeah

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 5/6/2009 12:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well KZ I would NOT disturbe the crankace to cylinder bbl, at at all for it is already tell you that it is not faulty.  So on with the head gasket.  Yet the interesting thing from my end is was this head gasket from the people that made the bike, possibly sell parts for serviceing or did you follow my tip to go to an automotive shop that would know the ideal set-up so you can copy & cut the one your are putting on.  Good luck to you only do not ride this FOUR STROKE at full chat, or next to it like a ring dinger.

So there is my answer WE as an old-timer & one that has worked on m/cs since back in 1946.  LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE or as some say KISS.  Which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid if that is not knowen in your area.

Only time one will replace the crank to cylinder bbl gasket with a new one, is when you have gone down to the interenals to look at the crank & even that is not done till one can feel the con rod is a bit loose down at the big-end as well call the crank.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 5/7/2009 8:10:32 PM GMT

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/7/2009 11:27 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The head gasket I got from kliff is fiber with silicon seal around the studs and cam tunnel and a stainless steel fire ring around the barrel. The stock gasket is teflon coated metal with crimping around the barrel and cam tunnel. I much prefer the gasket I got from kliff to a stocker. The gasket I have is supposed to be capable of handling 175 psi. easily. I doubt the scooter is anywhere near that. Now I'm just waiting for some clear weather. The scooter is outside and we've had nothing but rain since the gasket came.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/7/2009 1:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would agree with you KZ in that the head gasket from kliff is without question far, far superior to the shop or factory or dealer onw.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/17/2009 12:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Making slow progress. A few days ago I got the head back on and torqued down. Yesterday I got the engine back in the frame and the carb and various things hooked up. Was going to do more today but the temperature never got above 50 and it was cloudy and windy. I should know how good I did in a few days. Only thing that's a bother at the moment is an extra electric plug that I don't remember unplugging and can't find a mate for. It has a lock on it so I couldn't have accidentally pulled it loose when I pulled out the motor. I'm figuring it's an extra in a multi-purpose loom.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/20/2009 4:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'll make this brief-success. Scooter started after turning over briefly. I had to make an adjustment to get rid of exhaust noise but there are no leaks and it's running fine. I even took a short test ride and it's pulling like new and ready to have all the plastic put back on. Even with the valves gapped correctly there's no clattering, something which happens sometimes on China scoots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but everything looks good so far.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 5/23/2009 11:41 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Even greater success. The plastic is back and everything seems to be working fine.  From now on I'll be riding like I want to make it home instead of seeing if I can make it run at full throttle all day.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 5/23/2009 5:49 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Play it safe with the four stroke scooter.  After all us was bit designed or engineered for going full chat like it was in a road racer.  They are a quiter four stroke that does not pollute like a two-stroke & in both cases they are for around town use.

Look upon it as being a fuel saver to most m/cs & to all cages along with ease of riding.  Tack on ease of parking & all its advantages from the scooter world.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 7/18/2009 7:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've gone 500 miles since the motor job ( yeah it's been a slow summer ) and I checked the valve clearances. The intake was at .005 and the exhaust was also .005. The intake opened up .001, exhaust stayed the same as I set it. Intake should be .003-.004, I left it alone. I'll check it again in 1,000 miles and see what's up. It took me about 3 hours to pull the plastic, the valve cover, check the valves and then reverse the process. Scooter is running fine and not making any ticky noises. It's due for an oil change in hundred miles, so I'll see if there's anything in the screen then. It's coming up on a year since I bought it. It has over 1700 miles.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 7/29/2009 4:15 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't know if anyone has noticed but it's been over a year since Triumph Guy started this thread. Since that time his grandaughter has gone close to 4,000 miles on her Bashan, Triumph Guy bought a Chinese scooter himself (even though he hardly gets to use it) and I've gone almost 1,800 miles on mine. While I've had some issues none of the scooters dissolved into dust and are continuing to serve us well.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 7/29/2009 4:35 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good to hear!

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 7/29/2009 6:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Suggested to FG #1 that we extend the wheel base, add 17" tires, VR rated. Fake saddle bags to hide the Busa motor, a car tire on the rear is a must to handle load and thrust. She said OK,FG #1...........your supposed to say no, H**l no. The Zehn frame would never handle the load so it was a muse thought. After it would be completed like every race thing, the only thing stock would be the brand badge.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Joseph M
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 2

Posted 10/22/2009 3:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
smile I recently purchased a Bashan 150cc scooter ive put 1450 miles on it and it hasnt givin me one problem.All you gotta do is change the oil and trans fluid at 300 miles,then every 1000 miles after that.I dont know if anyone has ever heard of a Tank brand china scooter,well they are the top of the line china scooter sold today the bashan,peace,tank,are all the same scooters they are made in the exact same factory.The reason they have different names is because of the high demand for scooters same scooter different stickers as with all china scooters you are required to check all the bolts,they will come out.The first thing I done was took all the bolts out one by one(minus any motor or trans bolts)and apply thread lock if you do this there will be no need to worry about losing bolts,So in my opinion the bashan is an exellent scooter as for parts(everything will need a part sooner or later)I Purchased mine from green earth scooters Its the mpo6 model 150cc and I love it I could care less about the stickers they put on these things but anyway they have a full line of these parts available.I also didnt think it would be fast I was wrong it takes off real fast it will out run my 1996 landrover on take off up till about 60 mph.I didnt even break it in proper I just jumped on it and opened it up, you know how long it would take to put 300 miles on this thing at 30 miles per hour,where I live you get ran over doing 30 mph so traffic made me run this thing hard I didnt expect much when I got it but now I love it Im thinking about getting my wife one also.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/22/2009 3:03 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Glad you're enjoying the Bashan,but one little correction. Tank scooters are made in a different factory, honest. Peace Industries imports Bashans into this country and puts their name on some and not on those sold through other importers. But Tank isn't one of them. They now have a factory designated to build their scooters since they had quality control problems, but Bashan isn't it. I know one of Peace Industries employees and he says that Bashan builds their own engines unlike some factories. They take pride in using quality materials and the latest technology.They have a distribution network here and are in it for the long run.

Joseph M
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2009

Posted 10/22/2009 9:56 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thats still good to know I didnt waste 699.00

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/30/2009 1:34 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BTW. I got to 2300 miles and one day the scoot let off with a little screech when I started it. I go off down the road and it starts giving off a little pulsing vibration. It turned out that the drive belt had stretched and was flopping inside the variator cover. I replaced it with a Gates Powerlink Premium and all is peaceful again. The rollers and variator are fine so I'm good for another 10,000 miles. I guess Zhuping isn't a quality drive belt.

Leroy
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 2/24/2010 5:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey buys, I'm brand new to the forums. I'm in the Seattle area. Your info about the Bashans brought me here - this thread is one of the few pages on the entire 'net with any decent info about these scoots.

I just bought a 2008 150cc Bashan last night, just shy of 5k miles on it. The girl who owned it is a scooter fanatic (in a scooter gang called Scoot or Die). Lol.

She had new jets put in, and something else done to make it run cooler and faster. It also might have gotten a better clutch. The shop that did the work is very reputable (Fritz's), and knew the scoot and the previous owner by name. He told me it just had an oil change and a checkover about 2 weeks ago. He said getting the valves adjusted and the rear gear oil replaced might be a good idea, less than $100, but that I bought myself a very good little scooter.

I also have the same issue as a previous poster with the heat shield on the muffler. Mine too fell off, gone to the road gods. The muffler now has 3 little holes. The shop said those holes might make the scoot run a little lean, and it would likely be worth it to have them sealed up.

Very odd, the girl also wired the headlight switch to turn off all the lights when you flick over to the high beams. She said it was for making getaways in the dark. Seriously. I have no idea what that was about, but I'll put it back to normal. I think I'll want the high beam, myself. Also, gas gauge broken. No biggie, but I might look into it.

The really funny part is that my title says the scooter is a "Basha" - missing the "n." Lol, no wonder my insurance company hasn't heard of them!

I'm super stoked. I'll attach photos shortly. Thanks for all the info, guys!

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 2/26/2010 12:12 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I covered the little holes in my muffler with a Mighty Putty epoxy called. Qwik Steel. I think any good two part epoxy with a heat rating above 600F will do the job. J-B Weld makes a two part epoxy and even a Mighty Putty type epoxy that would probably do the job. The epoxy I used held up for 750 miles before I replaced the system. Yes, check the valves and do the gear oil change. It's worth it. Bashan assembles their own engines in house, unlike many other China scoot builders. You have a good one, treat it well.

Leroy
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2010

Posted 3/24/2010 12:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I just got the Bashan back from the shop. That sucked.

Apparently, the pod filter and re-jetting made it run not so well in the cold. Sucker died on me as I merged onto the highway.

The shop welded the holes in the muffler, and also a crack in the exhaust pipe. The guy said that was likely making it run really lean.

Rode it home today, it seemed to run just fine. It didn't want to start too easily, but no worries.

Oh, I also got to put a new back tire on it. The old one was shot, and had a nail in it.

I'm now into the scoot for about $800. I think I'm getting a Yamaha Morphous this weekend. Who knows, I might keep the Bashan, might not.

scoot4u
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010

Posted 6/1/2010 8:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I bought this make and model 150cc about 2 months ago and already have 1900miles on it and no problems at all! It will get up to 65mph with me on it and I am 215 pounds. It's great and everyone that I talk to loves it! I got this for a steal @ greenearthscooters.com. You have to do the initial setup that a dealer would normally do in order to get it at that price but it's so worth it! Free shipping too! I paid 759.00 plus I opted for the rear trunk and I think it was like 34.00dollars and it has a cool fake radio antenna on it that really makes it look like a really expensive scoot. It was delivered quick and green earth was alway's very quick to answer any and all questions that I had.. Their instructions on how to do the setup were superb and putting it together was a breeze. I had her running in 3 hours and I am a mechanical midget! lol. My tires are still like new also after 1900miles and she still lookes like she has 0miles on her. They say China Scoots are s**t but so are Toyotas if you bought one that was recalled!lol. This has been the best 759.00 investment that I have EVER made. Also I am getting right @ 70-73 miles per gallon @ 215 pounds! Go get one! Let me know how it turns out! I know you'll love it!  

Triumph Guy said...
What do you folks know about a chinese made scooter, 4 cycle, 150cc, called I think a Bashan? Are they any good?

scoot4u
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2010

Posted 6/1/2010 8:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oh yea, The only thing you can't forget to do is to get some blue thread lock and apply it to all the nut's and bolt's that you can especially the chrome muffler cover. They tell you to do this in the papers that they give you @ greenEarthscooters.com but do not neglect to do that step because your scoot will vibrate loose without this. Ok? Let me know how it turns out! 
Triumph Guy said...
Thanks Wisart I'll do that.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 6/5/2010 6:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Grand Daughter her roommate and I had lunch today. Took her scooter to the shop for general check up and her girl friend was the passenger on the back of the Triumph. When a 60 year old duffer is packing a young cutie on the back, tend to get some strange looks from the hard core chopper riders. Well the hard core chopper riders are gone now just the uh, money riders? 6500 miles on the Bashun now.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/5/2010 7:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I do not know, but someone downgraded a 50cc scooter & felt it was guttless.  Well in fact the 50cc is the "round way" of saying 49cc as it sounds better.  Also it was made so those buying one did not have to have a DL for a scooter or even an LP.  That is saving a lot of money.

Now if you run out of a gasket or two I did mention some pages back what we use to do with even brown wreaping paper to obtaining basically the same material or thickness from some of the automotive shops that sell such material.

I do not think I would haul the crank apart on a scooter for it will be hard to obtain many parts needed.  I guess at the low price of said scooter then best to put it in the corner of your lot & look for another one, probably new.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 6/6/2010 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

On a second thought about scooters it is obviouse none of your grew up in the days of British irons.  Basically we had to lay all the spanners to you name it for the bike & went over it continually to where so many would come into the ship with this ratteling sound & as mechanics we would know what it might be that had come loose or had to ride the bike to hear that sound THEN trace it.

It sound like so many of you are accustom to cages to also modern m/cs that you have assumed there is no need to check over the nuts & bolts to screws or even possibly time to lube something outside the bike like your hand lever inner cables.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 6/10/2010 7:14:48 PM GMT