Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Living with a Stella 4T 150cc scooter  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
40 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 3/20/2011 12:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
EDIT - I changed the title to suit as this has become an ongoing post...

I really didn't want to like this bike..

Poop.

Compared to my 2T Vespa PX 150:

Vespa has better paint, finish, instrumentation.

Stella has a torquier engine (I did not need to rev it up to get moving like my PX), smoother engine, quieter engine, better shifting.

A very nice bike.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Post Edited (Desmolicious) : 6/20/2011 11:31:46 PM GMT

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/23/2011 6:10 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Your not slumming are you? They are made in India. The Royal Enfield is made there also and the reports are good. When fit and finish lacks, so does everything else as a rule of thumb.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/24/2011 10:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Triumph Guy said...
Your not slumming are you? They are made in India.

The Stella 4T is the bike I wish Vespa would make.  So, I guess it would be slumming if I had an equivalent Vespa to pick over it.

;-) 

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 3/27/2011 6:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm looking to buy another scooter and the 4T has a dealer in Salt Lake City. Looked at a SYM 125cc that can reach 57mph last Friday. For some reason when you go above 150cc to 250cc they nearly double in size. The 4T looks like a good choice, thanks for the input Desmo.

tastroman
Daelim S-2 250, Buell Ulysses

Date Joined Sep 2006
Total Posts : 220

Posted 3/27/2011 4:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What's the top speed on the 4T?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/28/2011 6:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
About 60mph.

Triumph Guy, if you want a small scoot that is fast, Buddy just released their fuel injected 170i. Thing is tiny and faaaast.

http://genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html

If you want a small, fast TNG bike, that's the one to get. I wanted a small, fast enough (!) manual shift bike so I bought the Stella 4T. Matches up to my Vespa PX in the garage. One old school, one new old school!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

tastroman

Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 4/8/2011 6:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Pics?

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 4/8/2011 6:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I plan on getting one, but expect FG#2 in need for it. So, now have to own three scoots so I can ride one. Flippity Zippity, when can I ride a scooter?! Dump my gals in not an option. They are great cooks and treat me like a father figure.
Desmolicious said...
About 60mph.

Triumph Guy, if you want a small scoot that is fast, Buddy just released their fuel injected 170i. Thing is tiny and faaaast.

http://genuinescooters.com/buddy170i.html

If you want a small, fast TNG bike, that's the one to get. I wanted a small, fast enough (!) manual shift bike so I bought the Stella 4T. Matches up to my Vespa PX in the garage. One old school, one new old school!

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 4/9/2011 9:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here you go TG, pick this up for FG#2 and you use the Stella

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/2309035943.html

This scooter is an absolutely reliable, Honda quality keeper.

Or even just check out Craig's List in general. I see a lot of scooters in Salt Lake City for decent prices.

www.craigslist.org click on motorcycle and search through them. I tried searching "scooters" but it didn't work as well as going through the bike ads. Oh, and this joker with the Genuine. I see one day he's asking $1400, the next $1600. If you're interested-haggle.

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 4/10/2011 3:48:09 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/11/2011 12:28 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When  you think of things being built in India they you can still obtain a true version of the Royal Enfield 350cc or 500cc as back in the late 40s since that was sold to India.  Funny thing is they have the rights & such to build the Jaguar or the Land Rover.  So how many of you in North America have seen a MADE IN CHINA Jaguar or Land Rover?

Also for the filming three American truckers were supplied with Indian made large trucks with a frame or whatever for the motor, power plant, suspension & such while the rest was made of wood & these three are travelling the most dangerous roads in the world.  I know it has been on TV for some weeks to us North Americans.  Even the wheels are the antique design & also the reason they are splitting & giving trouble.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/12/2011 6:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tastroman said...
Pics?

Børk! Børk! Børk!

tastroman

Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 4/14/2011 5:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nice, I'd love to own one of those!! You will have to let us know how reliable it is as you rack up the miles.

tastroman

Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 4/15/2011 2:00 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One more question, if the clutch is on the left and you have to twist the left grip to change gears, how do you do both at the same time?

Well Enuff
--- Regaining my sanity --- one ride at time

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 1925

Posted 4/15/2011 3:39 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When you pull the clutch lever in it releases the grip so that you can rotate it to select another gear. Then you realease the clutch lever and it locks the gear-selecting grip so that it cannot rotate.

Desmo, correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Edited (Well Enuff) : 4/15/2011 10:42:14 PM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/15/2011 3:45 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is no lock out. You pull the clutch lever in, like on any moto, then twist the entire grip to shift to the next gear, then let the clutch out.
It is strange at the beginning (took me a while to get used to it) but fun and makes you feel connected and part of the process.
I find auto scoots, like my GTS 250 and MP3 500, just too easy to use if that makes sense. They become a little boring after a while...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 4/15/2011 3:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vespa shifting lesson in one minute: [damn, youtube has everything]

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 4/16/2011 4:38 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmo,did you take that pic? If so you have to enter it in photo of the week. A scoot has to win one of these weeks. Its a cool pic.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
empty slot needing to be filled miss the "wing"
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 4/16/2011 2:27 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
el SID said...
Desmo,did you take that pic? If so you have to enter it in photo of the week. A scoot has to win one of these weeks. Its a cool pic.

Yes.

Umm, what photo of the week?
confused

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Well Enuff

Date Joined Jul 2006

Posted 4/16/2011 9:37 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmo,

Photo of the Week: a photo contest presented by MC-USA in General Motorcycle Chat.
See thread at:

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/2/2011 6:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
tastroman said...
Nice, I'd love to own one of those!! You will have to let us know how reliable it is as you rack up the miles.
Issues so far..

Unless you unplug the EVAP line (for emissions) you WILL get vapor lock after a fill up.  No matter how careful you are.  The first steep hill will see to that.  So, unplug hose and tape it down just above where it comes out so that the open end is higher.

390 miles - an electric short.  The horn just turns on and off depending where I turn the handlebars.  I disconnected the horn and will have this fixed under warrany when I take it in for the initial 500 mile service.

Of course I'm the only one to report an electrical issue with the 4T.  My luck..

In case you're wondering why such low mileage, well, I love the bike but I have four others in the garage to also ride, plus living at the beach provides lots of other distractions!

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/17/2011 3:05 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Update. I plugged the EVAP line and replaced the regular sealed gas cap with a vented one from the older 2T Stella. Running issues solved.
Short was fixed by the dealer in 30 minutes.
500 mile service was done, bike is running sweetly.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 5/17/2011 7:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you have these issues with Vespa?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 5/18/2011 6:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My Vespa PX150 needed a new CDI at 1200 miles. Cost $80 and took about 20 minutes to replace. The 2005 models apparently got a bad batch.
The 250 Vespa (and new 300) also have issues with their EVAP system where if you overfill it can cause the bike to stall out. The difference being that it is much rarer. With the Stella it seems to happen even if you do not overfill, just from gas slosh in the tank.

With my Stella, the emissions thing is a really easy fix. $18 for the vented cap. The short was, of course, the first I heard of in this new model. No other owners have reported this. It apparently is not a rare occurence in the old 2T version.

Right now I am still very happy with the bike. But I will tell it as it is if issues arise.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 5/22/2011 5:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hate not having a scooter. Why are they so much fun and usefull? I get as much pleasure riding the scoot as well as the 14.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 5/23/2011 9:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Craigslist.org TG, they're all over the place there. With your skill and ability you could pick up a non-runner cheap and have it ripping in no time.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/2386354797.html

Need I say more?