Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > 50cc Scooter - Good Buy in College Town?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Charlie Sheen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 3/21/2011 8:11 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been looking into buying a new scooter to get quickly back and forth to classes and about town (where most roads are 35-45 mph) and I just have a few questions for those of you who have been familiar with scooters for much longer than myself, lol.

I've been around motorcycles my whole life, but was never really familiar with the technical and engineering-inclined aspects of them... So, anyway, here it goes... I'm looking at buying a Kymco, as their prices are the cheapest and I have read a few places that they are the leading scooter manufacturer in the world and are of great quality. Additionally, my state laws require that anything over a 50cc engine and exceeds 30 mph requires registration, insurance, and a motorcycle license - which I want to avoid as I just consider them additional costs that I can't afford at this time. In the town my college is in, basically, the whole town IS the college, so it's fairly bicycle/moped/scooter friendly. But, there are several areas with fairly steep inclines - the kind that has made me get off my bicycle and walk it up, lol. So, with a Kymco 50cc 4-stroke, would this be a problem?

Additionally, would getting the 2-stroke Kymco make a difference in power but not make it a "motorcycle" according to my state laws?

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 3/21/2011 12:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Take the time, take the MSF course (motorcycle safety foundation) to get your license and get a scooter bigger than 50cc if your going to be on 45mph roads and ride hills.

I had a de-restricted 50cc Kymco 2 stroke scoot, and it was just adequate on level roads. I weigh 150lbs.

The MSF course provides the bikes, plus the advantage of having a full license is that you can ride anything. You may think all you want is a 50cc bike, but it does not take long to want/need something more than that..

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Richard47
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 3/21/2011 3:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My son had a Yamaha DT50 when he was 16.  He weighed about 140 lbs at the time, I suppose. It would do about 30mph. He had it for a year, until he was allowed something bigger at 17. He rode it to work, about 9 miles each way. While slow it was faster and cheaper than taking the bus and he enjoyed riding it, and enjoyed the freedom of movement it gave. So it is a practical proposition. 

However, just because it is only a piddly 30mph machine and easy to ride doesn't mean you can't get hurt or killed on it, because you can. And easily. You need to factor in the cost of training before you make a decision. You do need training.

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/21/2011 9:33 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard47 said...

However, just because it is only a piddly 30mph machine and easy to ride doesn't mean you can't get hurt or killed on it, because you can. And easily. You need to factor in the cost of training before you make a decision. You do need training.

Yup. My helmet from a 25mph accident. Got t-boned by a car:

Børk! Børk! Børk!

sikander
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2011
Total Posts : 10

Posted 3/31/2011 9:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hope you are alright after meetin the accident . Next time be careful . Its a lesson that we all should wear helmets .biomedical engineer salary biomedical engineer

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 7/5/2011 5:08:07 PM GMT

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 3/31/2011 4:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was careful. The girl who decided to t-bone me wasn't...

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Leigh W
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2011
Total Posts : 5

Posted 4/21/2011 7:44 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've been riding a 50cc Honda Metropolitan for 5 years now. It's a great little scooter--I've put over 10k miles on it and aside from blowing out the clutch last year, it's been pretty reliable. It is considered a motorcycle and all rules apply. The Metropolitan II is moped legal.

But if you're gonna be on 35mph or more roads, you're going to want a bigger bike. My top speed is under 35 on level ground, and no more than 20 on a hill, and drivers *never* fully switch lanes when you're going too slow in front of them.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 4/22/2011 1:08 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Leigh W is right on the matters of the  roads such a maximum speed.

A few yrs back I noted an RCMP Constable trying to explain, politely to an elderly woman, that NO she could not travel on Hwy 97 to the closet city some 25 miles away, which is max of 100KPH especilly as her scooter  would not be able to clock close to that speed.  Anyway last I ever  saw of her, for living in Trout Creek the STEEP HILL up to main local town would have her pushing the scooter if she has the power in her.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 6/3/2011 7:23:33 PM GMT