Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Why Scooter Sales Rise with Gas Prices  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Rich_S
MCUSA Staff

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : -537

Posted 3/22/2011 4:48 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scooter sales rise with gas prices. Don’t believe it? Read the papers, my friend. Watch the news. The gas price/scooter sales news bit is pitched without mercy whenever the oil prices march upwards. It’s a now familiar media trope, and the hype plays into sales.

Bart comments on the rise in fuel price and scooter sales: Why Scooter Sales Rise with Gas Prices

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/23/2011 10:01 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Took the scooter to work today while the gas guzzling, 38mpg ZX-14 is in the shop. Just one more reason why scooters rock.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 3/25/2011 7:20 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think there's more to the increase in scooter sales than just hype. If Suzuki advertised their GZ and Tu 250s more they would probably sell a bundle of those to novices too. Good performance, great gas mileage and they can be used on the highway and they don't fold you over like a 250 Ninja or CBR. The same for a V-Star 250. My wife loves her Rebel and with her soft bags uses it for work, errands and light shopping, same as a scooter. Once winter lets go here she'll be using it everyday, weather permitting.

Triumph Guy
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 1926

Posted 3/25/2011 5:20 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FG#1 needed the Znen back and it fetches a low of 66 mpg. Her budget was trashed when fuel went through the roof. Her only vehicle is a GMC Youkon. It was costing her $80 a week just to go to work. Now her fuel bill will be around $7. Bob is running great now thanks to KZ's input. $240 dollars a month or $28. That buys a lot of grocerys. She took the Riders Edge Course at the Harley shop and was worth every cent, maybe even her life.

Asphalt the greatest tattoo remover.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 3/25/2011 5:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Believe me TG, I can relate to that. I'm spending $63.00 a week for gas right now in my minivan. Once this cold and snow stops I'll be switching over to the Bashan or the Big Ruckus I bought last Fall. They both get 70 mpg as opposed to the 20 mpg of the minivan. I'll be spending under $20.00 once I'm riding again.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 3/25/2011 5:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

One must remember a scooter is not only easy on fuel, though more costly right now, but then if they are in ideal terrain for scooters this is ALSO an easy thing to ride what with a really low step through frame when one realizes the floorboard is the part they are stepping through.  Not leg over a petroil tank & then all the fuss of learning how to handle the bike with a clutch, to also the foot shifting.

After all just as Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, & Kawaski were selling 50 to 90cc easy step through frames THESE were the ideal first bikes & really one could be self tought SO almost the same with the scooter.

I tend to come on the scooter section & know some feel I am against scooters, but just at the end of WWII I was building home made scooters with 1.3 hp to 1.5 hp small motors, no gear changes, NOT good, but reason I understood scooter.

Then when moving to Banff Alberta I was amazed at a number with mopeds to also Lambtetta, Vispa, to NSU Prima scooters & though I did not want to (for my business was part owner of a sport shop), but having several m/cs well it was only natural & YES I noted all the flaws in handeling in those days.

So always been interested it the progress to yes the first Yamaha electric starting scooter of 80cc with best handeling of any scooters in the 80s.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 3/26/2011 12:35:15 AM GMT

elecscooter
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2011
Total Posts : 1

Posted 5/24/2011 10:07 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If bike and scooter sales show a similar trend to gas price surges, then a lot of people are already voting with their pedals. The health benefits of cycling are obvious; the financial benefits may become more of an issue if people find it hard to afford to buy gas for regular commutes.
yeah

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 5/25/2011 4:56:59 PM GMT