Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > Honda Elite 80 motor scooter - problems  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Danielle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2011
Total Posts : 6

Posted 6/1/2011 5:50 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The first year I had this Honda it worked....okay. Then, as soon as the warranty expired, the problems began in earnest. It is hard to start (10 to 15 minutes of trying) the first time in the morning. I have replaced the battery three or four times. I have taken it into the repair shop several times but it never gets fixed. The last time they kept my scooter for two weeks. It would seem fixed but the next morning the problem was back. Finally they turned it back to me with no charge. I met another Honda Elite 80 order who was having the same experience. I bought a Honda because I "thought" I was getting a good product. I have since learned that -- at least mine -- was not made in the USA or Japan but in Mexico.

Any suggestions? I keep HEARING about some sort of "plug-in" that keeps the motor active (?) when not in use. Anybody know where to find one or what such are called?

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 6/1/2011 7:57 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Danielle said...
Any suggestions? I keep HEARING about some sort of "plug-in" that keeps the motor active (?) when not in use. Anybody know where to find one or what such are called?
Look in your manuals for a complaint number for Honda corporate and complain loudly and often......but politely.

And while you are doing that, look for a different shop, maybe even an independent.

If the problem is with not enough battery power to get it started, then there may be a problem with the charging system.

I think the thing you are referring to is a "battery tender" but that is just like putting a band aid on a broken arm.
It might help for a while but nothing will really heal right.

Does the little beast have a manually operated choke ?
If so, what are you doing with that ?

Danielle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/1/2011 3:04 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not enough battery power to get charging -- it does finally get going.
I don't think there is a manually operated choke. It's a very simple machine.
Nobody SEEMS (is willing to?) know what to do of the three shops I've taken it to.

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/1/2011 4:54 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Danielle said...
Not enough battery power to get charging -- it does finally get going.
Well then maybe a battery tender connected every night might help it limp along.

When all else fails, try some carb cleaner in the gas.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool is good.  Available at WalMart and all auto stores.

I don't think we have many scooter owners on here.
Have you tried a Google search for "Honda Elite 80" yet.
I am constantly amazed at the good stuff you can find that way............along with a lot of trash too.

And DO contact Honda directly.  It might not do any good but it MIGHT....and it can't hurt.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 6/1/2011 6:06 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That scooter was made in the 80's. Confused about the warranty. A machine that old can have a multitude of problems like old fuel pumps with hardend diaphrams that can have flex problems if not gravity fed. Also a gummed up fuel system is a top candidate.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/1/2011 7:53 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ZX Rider said...
That scooter was made in the 80's. Confused about the warranty.
lol

Man how time flies when you're having fun.

Maybe it's been running like crap for 25 years.  rolleyes

Danielle: Give up already.  It's time for a new ride.

Danielle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/2/2011 6:14 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This model has been MADE since the 80's. I bought a brand new Honda Elite 80 in 2009. I suspect that the originals were made IN Japan. Now I bought a cheap Mexican made copy sold by Honda.

Danielle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/2/2011 6:17 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tried searches for every wording I could think of. Mostly they want to sell me something though never a battery tender.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 6/2/2011 6:42 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
" It is hard to start (10 to 15 minutes of trying) the first time in the morning."

This is your problem. You have a bad choke, not a choke exactly but an electronic control for the enrichener circuit. If it's not getting a shot of gas through the circuit it will never start cold. You're then running your battery down. The easiest way to tell is to find where the air cleaner opening is, put your hand across most of it and try starting it. If it fires immediately or quickly, it's a bad electronic choke. It happens all the time on our lowly Chinese scooters. Sometimes there's no power to the unit or else the unit is just plain bad.

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/2/2011 10:05 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
" It is hard to start (10 to 15 minutes of trying) the first time in the morning."

This is your problem. You have a bad choke, not a choke exactly but an electronic control for the enrichener circuit.
Entirely possible.

It's also possible that the low speed jet is plugged.
A dose of carb cleaner is easy, cheap and often very effective.

After that, I repeat my suggestion of contacting Honda's Owner assistance phone number so they can "help" your local dealer actually find and fix the problem.

Has anyone even changed the spark plug yet ?
That is highly recommended too.

I can't imagine the tiny little battery in a scoot staying alive for "10 to 15 minutes" of trying to start either.
Buying or borrowing a small battery charger would go a long way to proving whether or not the electrical system or battery is really the root of the problem.  Once you grind it long enough to make it almost dead, it would take a LONG ride to charge it back up completely.  Some external help might be needed.

Bottom line: you need to stop "searching" and start doing something to narrow down the problem.......or twist Honda's tail to get the problem fixed.

Danielle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/2/2011 4:59 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What is the Honda owner's assistance phone number for here in the states?

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/3/2011 6:58 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Danielle said...
What is the Honda owner's assistance phone number for here in the states?
What happened to the warranty information that they gave you when the scoot was new ??
It might be in the owner's manual too.
It's probably available on an official Honda web site too.
I'm sure that your dealer knows.  Just asking them for the number might get their attention.

Have you actually LOOKED ??

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 6/3/2011 12:19 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True the original Yamaha & Honda 80cc bikes were made in Japan---with the surprise of an electric starter instead of kickstarter.  Did not know about Mexican production.

Now being a rider of m/cs since 1946 I tend to go along with some of the suggestions by Easy Rider.  I mean not only the spark plug, but the rest.  ALSO I do not see scooters going along at the pace of the average m/c MEANING the short runs at low revs (you will have to guess of the RPM) to continually starting can be sort of answered FOR I have two sportbikes by Honda at the Honda 929 to a '03 954 & each time I go to roll them out to be riden for 5 to 7+ hrs up in the mountains one thing I must do is unplug the Battery Tender for it has done it's job through the days to weeks to even the winter season.

The bikes start up like a charm & I clock a lot of hrs at some interesting revs MEANING the poor bike's charging system has had time to do its thing & even if not the BT at $35.00 USA has done its THING.

Also for yrs before WWII & even into the 50s after WWII our American or British bikes did not have a tachometer & so riders simple had to go by the sound & pace of the engine for revs. 

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 6/6/2011 1:18:55 AM GMT

Danielle
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2011

Posted 6/3/2011 2:46 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, but where do I buy one of these battery tenders?

Easy Rider 2

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 6/3/2011 3:32 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Danielle said...
Yeah, but where do I buy one of these battery tenders?
Any car parts store, battery store or even WalMart or other big box department store.
"Battery Tender" is actually a brand name for that kind of charger.
A Battery Tender Junior is probably the best choice for a rider who isn't schooled in electronics.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 6/4/2011 10:18 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I work for these guys:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=battery%20tender&vName=Automotive

Choose your Tender.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2203295001P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Probably this one.

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 6/4/2011 5:21:43 PM GMT