Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > scooter etiquette  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

AnnieK
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 2

Posted 8/10/2011 7:43 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey there all. New scoot-lover here. Just got a Vino 125 for downtown riding and loving it. But have observed that scooter-people and motorcycle people ignore each other. It's almost as if there is an invisible wall between us. Need some comments about THAT. Wazzap? Driving a 125 I had to get the same DL as they did on the same type of bike, did I suddenly drop IQ points or become a pariah because I scoot. meep-meepjumpin

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 8/10/2011 9:33 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
AnnieK said...
Need some comments about THAT. Wazzap?
Human beings are mean, hateful, selfish, evil animals.
That's just one way it manifests itself.

The worst sin is PRIDE.

You will be a lot better off in the long run if you don't let it bother you.

GAJ
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 6845

Posted 8/10/2011 11:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I waved at a scooter rider once, by mistake! lol

Never had one wave at me.

Selling my one owner '97 TL1000S: www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372346

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 8/10/2011 12:52 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
GAJ said...
I waved at a scooter rider once, by mistake! lol

Never had one wave at me.

I'll wave at you Gaj!

Annie, I ride scooters and motos, and it is true that there is very little cross pollination with the waving.  Thing is , I have found that scooter riders hardly ever wave to each other, let alone anyone else.
I go out of my way to wave to scooters while riding a moto, mainly for the comedy as it tends to freak them out.  In the lines of "that motorbike dood just waved at me!"

Just enjoy the ride.  It's better to stay focussed on the road instead of checking to see if you've been acknowledged anyway.

Be safe.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Easy Rider 2
Central Illinois / Central Florida

Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2259

Posted 8/10/2011 1:57 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Desmolicious said...

Thing is , I have found that scooter riders hardly ever wave to each other, let alone anyone else.

I think MOST scooter riders are afraid to let go of the bars long enough to manage a little wave.  freaked

lol

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 8/10/2011 5:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've had mixed results waving at people when I ride the scooters. I wave the same way I do on a bike, hand held low under the handlebar height. Not the upraised "Hi Mom" style. Even Harley and crotch rocket riders wave back most times. The funny thing is that I've had no success waving to other scooter owners. I'm talking me on my scooter. A couple of times they've looked right at me but didn't acknowledge me.

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/10/2011 6:36 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kz1000st said...
 The funny thing is that I've had no success waving to other scooter owners. I'm talking me on my scooter. A couple of times they've looked right at me but didn't acknowledge me.
Exactly what I've noticed.

I think it's because most scooter riders, in the US, do not even think about camaraderie.  Waving to another rider makes about as much sense to them as driving in a car and waving to other car drivers.
I bet most of these non wavers also do not have a moto license (my local scoot shop in LA said about 90% of their customers do NOT have license! And it is a requiremant in CA!) and really have no 'investment' in scootering apart from being a form of transportation.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/10/2011 6:38 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Easy Rider 2 said...
Desmolicious said...

Thing is , I have found that scooter riders hardly ever wave to each other, let alone anyone else.

I think MOST scooter riders are afraid to let go of the bars long enough to manage a little wave.  freaked

lol

Wouldn't be surprised...
No license, no gear, scoot has been dropped several times, tyres bald/underinflated.  This is what I see from the majority of scooter riders.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 8/10/2011 8:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I wave to all scooters. Scooters rock, the neighborhood is small and live next to two major colleges. I wave to scooters no matter what i'm riding. When I'm in full gear on the scooter, more shock when I wave to motorbikes of all sorts. The pecking order only exists with simple minded folks.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 8/17/2011 4:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I know prior to the end of WWII I was buying a lot of Johnston Iron Horse or Briggs & Stratton 4-stoke 1 to 125hp power plants AS they waited for the Govt to get electricity to them like for milking & such.

Those I pulled apart & rebuilt to making my own one speed scooters.

Then when I moved into Banff National Park in Alberta in 1952 I was confronted with scooters made by Jawa, Lambaretta, to NSU Prima with all lost about spark plugs & such---so though I had two jobs like being an Instrument Man for the Trans Canada hwy & part owner of a sport shop basically for mountaineers or skiers I was asked to correct the errors on the mentioned scooters.

I note Yamaha had an 80cc with electric starter in 1980 & asked to ride it for I knew the makes mentioned were TERRIBLE in handeling.  That Scooter by Yamaha was with all the corrections especially when going over railway lines which was the big test.

Then on came the fad of 49cc t-stroke scooters of now & one does not have to take a test, to no LP or such ONLY they lack any power especially if they have a hill to climb.  Also the stab by Suzuki for the 400cc & later on Yamaha had a 400cc, but then Honda had an even later one.

So YES we know about scooters & the riders, but most are only 49cc & in a way are not in our world of more power or that of m/cing.

I tend to make a comment or two on this SCOOTER section for one has to remember I was making my own scooters right after WWII, to one even with a 3-speed 1934 Coventry-Eagle in a tube frame & leading link front end suspension.  So YES some of us are interested but it is not the main fad for ALL of use, BUT you will find some have a m/c along with a scooter or two.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.