Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > 125cc Scooters  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

julie89
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2011
Total Posts : 3

Posted 10/7/2011 10:40 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

People who do not want to get public transport but cannot afford to buy their own car, might be interested in investing in a 125cc scooter. It can be a nightmare trying to get to work in the morning if you have to travel on a packed bus or train and that is why people will look for alternative methods. Carpooling is one option that a lot of people will consider but this can mean relying on someone else and it is always better to have your transport if possible. That is why a motorbike is something that a lot of people will consider.

One thing to note however, is that motorbikes can also be expensive depending on the size and style. A 125cc scooter however, is a great option for those who need to get from A to B but don’t want the hassle or expense of buying a bigger model. The 125cc scooter is easier to manage and is the best choice for those who are just getting started with driving a motorbike.

Why Choose a 125cc Scooter

• When it comes to affordability, the 125cc scooter is a great choice. They are inexpensive to buy and are economical to run. Fuel prices are a major issue for people these days so knowing that you will not have to pay so much for fuel with a scooter is a huge benefit. Cars are very expensive to run these days and a lot of people do not realise this until they actually buy the car. They then find out that keeping the car on the road is eating into all their spare cash. A 125cc scooter is cheap to run because they have engines which are quite small. They are a cost effective solution to your transport problems.
  • If the route you take to work is normally quite busy then having a scooter will be a huge advantage. Unfortunately cars cannot do much about traffic jams but a 125cc scooter is small enough to get past the traffic jams and means you will get to work in a much quicker time.
  • 125cc scooters are easy to look after and cheap to maintain. It is easy to find spare parts and you will also find that the cost of repairing a scooter is quite low when compared to the repairs for a car for example.
  • Road tax and insurance is much cheaper for 125cc scooters than it is for a car so this will not eat into your money. Choosing to drive a scooter instead of a car will save you quite a bit of money.

When it comes to driving a 125cc scooter there are a number of things that you need to think about. The following are just a few of the things to consider:

• While there are many benefits to riding a scooter, there are also a number of drawbacks such as the fact that you will not have the same level of safety that you would in a car for example. The reason for this is because the scooter has only two wheels as opposed to four. It can be difficult for a car to flip over, but with a two wheeled vehicle, it is quite easy for it to slip and fall over.
  • There is little protection for the rider of a motorcycle because of the fact that there is no protective metal casing around the rider as there is with a car. There are also no air bags which means that the motorcyclist is more likely to be hurt in an accident.
  • Because scooters are quite small, they can be difficult to see by drivers of larger vehicles.

In order to counter the above issues, there are certain things a motorcyclist can do such as making sure that he or she can be seen by wearing bright visible clothing. Studies have shown that wearing visible clothing can keep you safe. Helmets are also essential and it would be wise to wear other protective clothing such as leather jackets, trousers and gloves. Be taking these steps, you can be safe while out on your 125cc scooter.

Post Edited By Moderator (Rich_S) : 10/10/2011 4:10:43 PM GMT

Smitty
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 10/8/2011 4:21 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
julie,that was a good thread on the 125cc scooter.  I would say most over in North American have 49cc for they do not need an LP, nor insurance.  Often some have lost their car or m/c DL,

True in my area of the Okanagan Valley of B.C., one really needs the extra pulling power of the 125cc for on the main highway, being Hwy 97, there is 90 to 100KPH as slowest & fastest.

Also we are in the heart of the Cdn Rockie Mountains so that means often some are steep street hills to their homes or such, which is telling you 49cc is lacking compared to 125cc.

We have seen a few videos of busy cities in Indian & are amazed at women riding side saddle form as a pillion rider & to be honest we are amazed that no people on foot, bicycle, scooter or car are not having accidents.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 7362

Posted 10/10/2011 8:17 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The 125's do seem to have a lot going for them. Good post.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 10/13/2011 4:29 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It was chilly this morning so I jumped in the Camaro. Looked at the fuel guage, $45 or $3 for the scooter. $42 richer now in just a moment, had to dress up for the ride which was far more fun anyway. The ZX-14 only gets around 38mpg, however both are restricted to the speed limit which nills the 14 as practical for the commute.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 10/14/2011 4:07 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've done about as many miles this summer on the scooter as I used to do on the bike. In the process I've saved about $500 or more over using the car. Not to mention saving a few miles of wear and tear on the car.

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 10/15/2011 10:49 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Scooters are experiance that differs the norm. Have no clue why the scooter is just as fun as the turbo 14, it just is. Maybe cause the scooter is far more dangerous to ride.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Post Edited (ZX Rider) : 10/15/2011 5:52:18 PM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 10/16/2011 8:40 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
They are a unique experience. I would gladly have one in the garage if I could afford it right now.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/21/2011 7:32 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Craigslist and Chinese scooters Tros. They can be found for about what some bike guys pay for a tire change.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 10/23/2011 9:35 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never heard a good thing about those low-cost Chinese scooters, Kz1000st. I've only ever heard they last a couple seasons and poop out.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/23/2011 11:34 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hmmm. Let's see. I have almost 6,000 miles on mine after three years. TG's grand daughter still has her's, also three years and over 6,000. TG has a scooter that he's riding for a couple of years, and  loving it. All Chinese. There are people on other forums with Chinese 250cc scooters approaching 20,000 miles. There, now you've heard one good thing about Chinese scooters. I've also seen 50cc Kymcos on Craigslist for under $1000, not to mention older Hondas and Yamahas of various years and sizes for under a grand.

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 10/24/2011 8:44 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What brand do you have, Kz1000st? It is certainly good to see a positive report. As far as Kymco, I've seen nothing but good things about that company. What other companies are worth mentioning? I'd be likely to buy something from that company, but I am always interested in hearing about the next great deal.

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Post Edited (Tros) : 10/24/2011 5:26:09 PM GMT

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/24/2011 7:22 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mine is a Bashan (Chongqing Astronautical Bashan Motorcycle Co.) as is TG's grand daughter's. About the best and biggest Company is Znen among the rank and file brands. I've heard of 150cc scooters from them topping 25,000 miles with no engine work. The very best is CF Moto. They produce many water cooled, fuel injected 150s and a Honda Helix clone that is almost as good as the original. The E-Charm has the same specs as a Honda SH-150i for under $2000. I bought mine from www.gsmotorworks.com and was very happy with the parts supply, honoring of their warranty and quality of the scooter's build. Unlike many importers they don't order theirs with second rate parts.

Kymco obviously is a major step up from a Chinese scooter although they get some of their lineup from their Chinese plant. The Like 200 can be had for $2600, looks like a Vespa and comes with fuel injection.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/like200.htm

Post Edited (Kz1000st) : 10/26/2011 11:55:06 AM GMT

Tros
Global Moderator

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 10/25/2011 11:03 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great post, thanks!

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Desmolicious
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 5507

Posted 10/25/2011 6:30 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Like 200 looks nice, has a great price but has two flaws. One - if you care - is the engine size is 163cc, but they call it a 200. So don't expect 200 performance from it.
The other is ergos. It has a really weird rider triangle where for most people to get comfy their knees would hit the glove box area.
But if it fits, then groovy.

Børk! Børk! Børk!

el SID
merely a man equipped with a bag a seedless grapes

Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 1947

Posted 10/26/2011 6:54 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah China made stuffs great,but....

2007 Honda Silverwing 600 - $1800

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2669551969.html

to see entire posting. No mileage given but,dang,seems cheap. Am I off or does this sound alot more enticing than a new China made anything? Theres a 89 spree for 800,this seems like a screaming deal,in comparison.  Add in the six hundie powerplant,the thing looks even better. to the point my clapped out 87 spree may get retired.

the best bike out.... is the one your on...
current hacks
1996 honda vfr
track hack? 2012 tuono rsv4 aprc? who knows,cant decide....
1973 kawasaki h1
1998 suzuki rm 125

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/26/2011 9:51 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are always great dals to be had on Craigslist, my point to Tros was that if you want a scooter,cheap-really cheap, a Chinese scooter can be had for little more than a pair of mounted sport tires.
I was itching for days over a 2009 Kymco Super 8 with bad threads on the crank holding the variator for $600. The wife nixed it.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/10/2012 6:47 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is an automotive place with a number of colourful scooters sitting around.  I never have the time to stop off & ask the owner what he is offering & if he is able to obtain parts & service them for he has top rate cage mechanics so really why not???  Just then when being forced through Penticton to the other side of town for the continued Hwy 97 I simply do not find the time to stop & talk to a few of them.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.