Motorcycle USA Forums : Join the Revolution
  HomeLog InRegisterCommunity CalendarSearch the ForumHelp

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA > MotorcycleUSA.com! > Scooter > How about a classic DKW and Husky?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/6/2012 9:28 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Both from the late 50s/early 60's, both ALL original down to the tires and both great runners!

My dad was a cycle mechanic when we came over from Holland in 59 to Appleton, WI. Dad would work on any of the European scooters and mopeds the local cycle shopd wouldn't touch. We had the DKW and Husky for over 40 years, just sitting around. I gave both to a friend looking for a winter project, and he had both running in no time! He actually won a local "Two Wheel Tuesday" bike show event for the Husky! That was against all forms of Jap classics, Harleys, Bobbers, sport-bikes, Brit classics and cafe-racers!

The most expensive replacement part on the Husky was a little toothed rubber primary drive belt. It was hardly much more than a toothed belt for a vacuum cleaner, but it cost $80 direct from Sweden.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

Post Edited (Andy VH) : 1/6/2012 4:57:39 PM GMT

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
XR carb Husky 001.jpg
  398KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 511 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
DSCN0050.JPG
  425KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 443 time(s).

Richard47
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 5552

Posted 1/6/2012 9:48 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That Husky looks very similar to a Honda 50 step-through. I wonder why the Honda took off and the Husky didn't?

Toilet Brush Dog Owner

Andy VH
Where is the earth shattering kaboom!?

Date Joined Apr 2005
Total Posts : 4952

Posted 1/6/2012 10:13 AM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Husky is a really solid little scooter, 3-speed on the left twist grip. Its kinda cool, get up to speed, pull in the clutch and twist the grip up for third or down for second, first gear is in the middle. Foot brake pedal on the right, front brake lever at the throttle grip. Nice wide splash apron, storage under the seat and on the tail rack.

Husky didn't have the dealer presence in the US in the late 50s/early 60s like Honda did. No advertising like Honda either. The Husky still runs great, starts easy (kick start) and idles right away. Simple littel 2-stroke engine.

Training, the best safety and performance "equipment" you can get!
Get MSF trained, check out: http://www.msf-usa.org

ZX Rider
Triumph guy

Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 485

Posted 1/6/2012 5:23 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can still get factory parts for the Husky today? Wow! that's impressive. I lean toward the DKW that has that hot rod look. Both are very cool.

Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Kz1000st
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 351

Posted 1/7/2012 1:43 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Husky didn't have the dealer presence in the US in the late 50s/early 60s like Honda did."

Don't forget that Husky also had a hefty price tag hanging on their products too. Think Chinese scooter vs. Vespa today.

Smitty
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 22123

Posted 1/10/2012 6:31 PM (GMT -7)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I ran across a glob of Vespa (under the name of Sears), mopeds, to Lambretta scooters.  The kids all flocked to me due to owner of several m/cs along with experience.  I still had my business license, went to Sears & my cost for parts was same to anyperson.  Now in the m/c world we would sell at 20% off the retale price.

End of me even touching a vespa.  Some had the three shift with the clutch lever on the left, pull that in & moved it up or down, but reaching the lever is most upright position was not that easy.

Also I could not figure why they were such terrible handeling things.  For in a demo I used my Fanny-Barnett factory Enduro bike to start rolling from upper hot springs & down the twisty road with no hands on the handlebars, but to be sort of like standing at ease position with hands behind my back & came all the way down without touching the handlebars till the STOP sign.  That was the end of scooters & they some bought 200 to 250cc bikes for easy handeling. I handled the bike with English Body Balance only & such balance is need in Observed Trials I did so well in for around 18 or 20 yrs.

Husky I never did see, but did work on a few 125cc european two-stroke uniits, but the problem was getting the proper mix of oil & petrol.  This on insisted in trying to drive from Banff to Calgary Alberta & back again.  Far, for to slow & even a 125cc scooter was faster, so he pawned it off to someone in Calgary.  Interesting getting into the unit was open the front of the body then sit down & try to start it.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Post Edited (Smitty) : 1/11/2012 1:36:30 AM GMT